A Workplace Tour is a highly structured Career Awareness activity in which youth and young adults visit a workplace, learn about the business, meet employees, ask questions and observe work in progress. More than a simple field trip or site visit, a Workplace Tour is designed and structured to meet specific learning outcomes, be educationally rich, and build awareness of the business or organization, its industry sector, its role in the economy and the career options it provides. A Workplace Tour is conducted at a workplace for small groups and involves preparation and follow-up in the classroom or in workshops, including research and reflection by youth and young adults. Workplace Tours are designed to:
- Provide exposure to potential careers and jobs.
- Build occupational knowledge.
- Build knowledge about the education and training needed for entry into the industry.
- Create awareness of the company or organization’s role in the community, as well as its functions, processes and products.
- Foster an understanding of the business or organization’s workforce and its contributions to the community.